Senior Lecturer in Public Policy and/or Health Systems
DEPARTMENT of POPULATION HEALTH, UNIVERSITY of OTAGO,
Who we are
The University of Otago is one of New Zealand's largest and most
research-intensive universities, currently enjoying a high position
in the QS World University ranking in the top 3%. It is a leader
across all fields of academic endeavour regularly topping the New
Zealand Tertiary Education Commission's education performance
At the Department of Population Health we work to understand the
practice of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting the
health of entire populations and population sub-groups. This is a
key goal in Aotearoa New Zealand to reduce health inequalities. The
Department also teaches undergraduate medical students in their
clinical years (years four to six) and also offers a variety of
postgraduate programmes in public health.
In this role you will be required to:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Participate in research studies and contribute to the
development of new research projects.
- Supervise research for Masters and PhD students.
- Be actively engaged with University and participate in various
This is a rare opportunity to combine a successful academic
career with the work-life balance people at University of Otago
enjoy. We foster a collaborative and collegial approach to teaching
Skills and Experience
- PhD degree in an applicable area.
- Social scientist background.
- Expertise in Health Systems and/or Health Policy.
- Proven track record in research with experience in mixed
methods or qualitative research.
- Experience in relevant teaching at post-graduate level.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the Treaty of Waitangi,
particularly in relation to Public Health and the University
This is a permanent, full-time confirmation path position.
Specific enquiries may be directed to Associate Professor
Gillian Abel, Head of the Department of Population Health, via the
contact details below.
How to Apply
Candidates are requested to submit the following:
- A CV.
- A cover letter.
- Three referee contact details.
For further details and to apply please see the website here.
Quoting reference number 1801567
Applications close on Monday, 1 October
Contact: Gillian Abel at +64 3 364 3619