Are you a senior public health physician or medical practitioner
with substantial experience and interest in surveillance system
operation, surveillance-based epidemiology and/or emergency
Do you want to join a busy team at the ESR Kenepuru site in
Wellington across multiple activities in a challenging, but highly
rewarding environment where every day is different?
In this role, along with your ESR colleagues and peers, you will
provide expert advice to the Ministry of Health and public health
units on important public health surveillance, investigation and
infectious disease prevention and control activities, including in
outbreak and emergency responses.
You can expect to be involved in:
- Identifying and interpreting disease trends and emerging
hazards, particularly related to communicable diseases.
- Initiating, designing, executing and leading outbreak
investigations, infectious disease surveillance system development
and research projects to describe the distribution of health events
and their aetiology.
- Collaborations with other agencies such as the Ministry of
Health and Ministry for Primary Industries during
multi-jurisdictional outbreak responses.
- Supporting public health units in outbreak investigation. This
may involve visits with PHUs and other key stakeholders in
association with Ministry of Health staff.
- Contributing to emergency response planning and quality
- Providing support across the discipline of public health
medicine within ESR.
You will be able to demonstrate that you:
- Hold vocational registration with the Medical Council of New
Zealand in public health medicine, or are potentially
- Have experience in working across public health agencies and
the wider public sector, preferably in New Zealand and in relation
to communicable diseases.
- Are skilled at building effective and enduring
- Are willing to work as a member of a team and be supportive of
other team members and focused on achieving team objectives.
- Are great at juggling and prioritising several complex tasks,
often under pressure of urgency.
For more information, a job description and to apply see here.
Applications close 8 August 2021.